Facebook might soon not only be your source of your friends’ selfies and unsolicited shared posts. Enter Facebook Watch; basically, it is the giant social network’s answer to YouTube.
So What’s Up With Facebook Watch?
In a nutshell, announced in August 2017, Watch is a video-on-demand service that caters to Facebook users. According to the company’s press release, “Watch is a platform for all creators and publishers to find an audience, build a community of passionate fans, and earn money for their work.”
As announced by Facebook, Watch promises to be a platform for a variety of shows, which includes shows that engage fans and community (e.g. Nas Daily), shows that connect directly with fans (e.g. Gabby Bernstein), shows that follow a theme (e.g. Kitchen Little), and live events (e.g. Major League Baseball).
What’s In Store For Original Content Creators?
Video content produced by Facebook partners or creators earn 55% of the advertising revenue while the company takes the other 45%.
Ad revenues from Watch are made possible by ‘Ad Breaks,’ which gives publishers to add pre-roll or mid-roll ads. The ads can be inserted by the creators or they can use Facebook’s automated system. The Ad Breaks feature is offered to publishers who create 3-minute videos that net more than 30,000 1-minute views in two months; who have a strong following of at least 10,000; and who live in a supported country.
Watch Out, Oz
According to this report, Facebook executives in Australia are yet to make an official announcement on the launch date of the platform here. One executive has explained that the company is focusing on bankrolled efforts to come up with shows that have global appeal. However, it is safe to say that Watch will be launched in Australia sooner than you think.
Why Marketers Need To Be In The Loop
Let’s fast forward to the day that this platform is launch; how will it affect digital marketers? Well, for starters, the Ad Breaks will open the floodgates to more advertisers. The Ad Breaks might single-handedly change the way bigger companies place ads on Facebook.
Another likely change that may happen post Watch launch is the power of social media influencers. Social media stars will have a new venue to share their content, enabling them to further their audience reach.
Lastly, Watch is poised to change the game of video marketing in general. YouTube publishers have done it in the past—so it is natural to assume that Watch personalities will do the same with a twist. The main difference between YouTube and Watch is that the latter is more community-based. The Facebook announcement sums it up best: “Watching video on Facebook has the incredible power to connect people, spark conversation and foster community… On Facebook, videos are discovered through friends and bring communities together.”
Learn More About Watch
If your business wants to ride the Facebook Watch train as early as now, you would want to consult with digital marketing experts. Consult with a marketing professional on how your company can take advantage of the new possibilities this platform could bring to the table.
Contact us today to know how you can use Facebook Watch to your business’ advantage.